Essay > Words: 1890 > Rating: Excellent > Buy full access at $1
(You need to have more than one or two sentences for each. Each area is worth 0.5 points)
- Research Problem and Purpose
What are the problem and purpose of the referenced study? (Sometimes ONLY the purpose is stated clearly and the problem must be inferred from the introductory discussion of the purpose.)
- The purpose of this study was to describe the effects of participation in a medical –surgical certification and practice review course on the participants’ clinical nursing practice.
- The problem was to find out the effect of medical-surgical education on the nurses’ self-confidence, leadership, competency, and initiative.
- Hypotheses and Research Questions/Statements
What are the hypotheses (or research questions/objectives) of the study? (Sometimes the hypotheses or study questions are listed in the Results section, rather than preceding the report of the methodology used. Occasionally, there will be no mention of hypotheses, but anytime there are inferential statistics used, the reader can recognize what the hypotheses are from looking at the results of statistical analysis.)
- The hypothesis was whether participation in the medical-surgical certification review course had a positive effect on the medical-surgical nursing practice in term s of participants’ self-confidence, competence, leadership, and initiative.
- Literature Review/ Theoretical or Conceptual Framework
What is the quality of the literature review? Is the literature review current? Relevant? Is there an integrated summary of the current knowledge base regarding the research problem, or does the literature review contain opinion or anecdotal articles without any synthesis or summary of the whole? (Sometimes the literature review is incorporated into the introductory section without being explicitly identified.) Is a theoretical or conceptual framework identified? If so, what is it? This is not the same as the research design. Many times a framework is not actually mentioned. If one is not mentioned, just state there isn’t one.
- The quality of the literature review used was very good and accurate since a research proposal was submitted and approved by the institutional review board. In addition, a descriptive survey was developed and reviewed by expert medical –surgical nurses for face validity.
- Participants were registered nurses hence making the review current and relevant due to the fact that the questions were also well designed. The conceptual framework was the review of the literature.
What population was sampled? How was the population sampled? Describe the method and criteria. How many subjects were in the sample? Is the setting or study group adequately described? Is the setting appropriate for the research question? What type of sampling strategy was used? Was it appropriate? Was the sample size adequate?
- The population sampled was 119 nurses. The survey tool included a Likert scale and an open-ended question.
- Each participant was asked to rate the degree to which medical-surgical nursing practice using the definitions for self-confidence, competence, leadership and initiative. The open-ended question required nurses to explain in writing the impact of the course on their practice.
- The subjects that were in the sample were 119. The study group was adequately designed since they were nurses who had just come from medical-surgical nursing practice. The setting was very appropriate.
- The sampling strategy used was stratified random sampling since only nurses who completed more than 80% of the course were sampled. This method of sampling was appropriate and adequate because the nurses sampled had actually covered a larger percentage of the course.
- Protection of Human Research Participants
What steps were taken to protect human research subjects? Don’t forget IRB.
- The surveys were mailed back to a central nursing office where an administrative staff member not associated with the study opened it.
- Research Design
Using your textbook, what was the design of the study? If the design was modeled from previous research or pilot studies, please describe. (Chapter 8)
- The research design was quantitative since it defined relationship between nursing and effects of professional education. This research was modeled from previous research carried.............
Type: Essay || Words: 1890 Rating || ExcellentSubscribe at $1 to view the full document.
Buy access at $1